Having a business to earn you some extra money is never a bad idea. Sometimes, that monthly salary is just not enough to cater for needs, pay the bills and help achieve your goals. If you don’t have investments or any additional source of income, you need a business! No matter how small it is you have to start somewhere. However being an entrepreneur is not as easy as it seems. You should be able to spot problems, figure out which of them you can solve and make money from as a bonus.
You might have a few set-backs while starting up a new business. If you are to succeed, you must learn from the set-backs and improve. In the long run it will be worth it.
There is a long list of businesses that you could start up and manage on your own, rightaway. However, I’m only going to choose a select few that I think are really great and are not capital-intensive.
- Agriculture/Livestock Farming: Yes farming. Food is one thing that is always in high demand. You can dive into any category of agriculture; fish farming, poultry farming, crop farming and many more. Do you have a piece of land wasting away somewhere? You could use it to farm. Fish farming is commonly practiced in Nigeria and is not difficult to maintain as long you can devote your time. If you are thinking of going into agriculture, you should plan properly and seek the assistance of an expert in the field.
- Catering and Food delivery service: Are you a good cook? (We don’t want people to suffer from food poisoning). You can start up a catering business and offer delivery services to your customers. There are a lot of bachelors out there who haven’t had a home cooked meal in a while. Sometimes I have a chef deliver home cooked meals to me. Eating out all the time becomes boring. So try getting some customers and you’re good to go.
- Affiliate Marketing: This is the process of earning a commission by promoting other people’s (or company’s) products. You find a product you like, promote it to others, and earn a piece of the profit for each sale that you make. So if you have a reasonable social media presence you can try this. There are other ways to market. You should do a little research if you are interested. Utilize the over 10,000 followers you have on social media and drop the selfie/filter expertise for a minute.
- Tailoring: This isn’t a bad idea either as long as you are willing to acquire and effectively utilize the skill.
- Graphic Design/ Web Design: most businesses need alogo, flyer & banners, website design and more. All you have to do is get the tools, acquire the skill, and then focus on getting clients.You have to be very good and creative. And, oh! Get ready for some serious competition.
Need a logo design? Click here.
- Freelance Photography
- Selling on Online Sales Platforms
- Concierge Service
- Laundry Service